Here's my break down and impressions on the v1 dolly prototype. Keep in mind this was only the first stab & learned a LOT from it. It's also a bit on the expensive side so we're pushing the value engineering as we move into v2 & v3. Stay tuned... =) Test videos are here
about 15lbs total
72 inches long with about 60 inches of travel x 8 inches wide
bout $900+ proto cost (+ shipping and various little hardware store bits)
-Have to credit Chris for hitting the motor selection on the nose. Perfect match for power consumption, accuracy and torque. Love this little beast!
-Vertical and/or upside down? no problem!
-Extremely smooth from close examination of the raw files. Any doubts/questions I had going into testing were quickly erased. I think the feathering 'between' moves built into the OMTLE really helps here too.
-Didn't see any hiccups even under 100 steps per move. (400 step ballpark seemed to be the 'sweet spot' with a wide lens)
-Relatively simple to put together with only a few eccentric 'ikea moments' (if you know what I mean!).
-I didn't really like the looped belt arrangement and motor position at the end of the rail.
-Couldn't disengage quickly, try out a setup and 'slide preview' the results on cam.
-Lots of connection wiring hanging about and I had to get a 6' shutter extension cable to go to the camera on cart
-Too many custom parts...
-Rail is on the long side for trekking. (but I'm confident it would fit in a ski bag)
-I'm thinking not the best bang for buck at the end of the day.